Financial information, bargains and cash for older people

SeniorCash provides information about grants, loans, bargains, inheritance, retirement and pensions

Adult education bursaries

Money and bursaries for study, certificate and diploma courses, adult education, higher education funding, further education funding

In the United Kingdom there are five colleges that specialize in providing long-term residential courses for adults. The colleges are:

Fircroft College:
Hillcroft College (for women):
Newbattle Abbey College:
Northern College:
Ruskin College:

A bursary scheme has been set up for adults who enrol on a full-time course of at least a year in length at one of these colleges. A similar scheme is also available for students from Scotland (see for more information). Grants are given to students to cover the tuition fees and to provide a suitable amount of money on which to live for the year. Also a dependants' allowance is given for those who need extra financial support. Additional grants are available for students with disabilities.

The bursaries are available to students attending certificate and diploma courses. They are not available for students who are studying on a course that leads to a professional qualification or for students who are studying on courses at first degree level.

To be eligible to apply for funding you need to meet the following criteria:

If you are interested in studying at one of these colleges and need to find out about the bursary scheme, you are advised to contact your chosen college direct. A booklet called Adult Education Bursaries: a guide for applicants for courses at the long-term residential colleges is available from the address below. It is now available in printed or electronic format.

Awards Officer
Adult Education Bursary Office
Suite 30
Westgate Centre
Oxford OX1 1NZ
Tel. 01865 727 035